Dedicated with love to my cousin, Jasmine, whose birthday falls on 11th July. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
1/4 cup flour
2 T ghee (clarified butter from cow's milk) or vanaspati (plant based clarified butter)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Water as required
1-2 T ghee or oil
2 potatoes, peeled, cut up and boiled
1 red onion, finely chopped
1/4-1/2 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
Pinch of red chilli powder (if you prefer it even spicier)
Dash of dhania (coriander) powder
Dash of garam masala
Dash of amchur (mango powder)
Ghee or vanaspati for cooking
1. Firstly, prepare the dough. Mix all ingredients until consistency becomes like breadcrumbs.
2. Add water as required, and make like Play Dough consistency. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil, add onion and green chilli. Cook till onion browns and gives slight aroma.
4. Put cooked onions into a bowl, add potatoes and mash slightly. Season with salt, pepper, jeera, dhania, garam masala and amchur.
5. Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll out, and grease with a little ghee. Put potatoes in it.
6. Top with second rolled out dough piece.
7. Heat oil in a pan, and cook for a while. Make slits inside with a sharp knife, and put a little ghee on top.
8. Cook until golden brown, and serve hot with plain yoghurt or masala tea.