Hey guys, recently I decided to try something that inspired me on TV vegetarian. Here it is... A spinach and ricotta crepe topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Yum!
2 cups flour
1-2 tbsp melted butter
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp baking soda
Enough milk to make it like a creamy consistency
500 g - 1 kg (whichever is optimum) spinach, washed properly, boiled and chopped
1-2 tbsp butter
2-3 cloves garlic
4 cups milk
2 tbsp white flour dissolved in water
750g-1 kg ricotta cheese (store bought or homemade*- see below)
Parmaesan cheese to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup pizza sauce (Ragu or any tomato sauce)
Buffalo mozzarella cheese for topping
1. For the crepes, sift all the dry ingredients together and mix enough milk into it. Whisk and keep aside till creamy. Be careful not to overbeat.
2. Make the filling by heating the butter and adding garlic, and then milk and flour. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper
3. Add in spinach and ricotta cheese, as well as Italian herbs for flavour.
4. Heat a little oil in the pan, and pour a cup full of crepe batter, spreading out evenly. It should be able to turn easily if cooked.
5. Stuff the crepes with the filling, shape into triangle and top with pizza sauce and cheese before baking for 20 mins.
6. Serve hot with green salad (see recipe- upcoming!)
* Tip: To make ricotta cheese, it is just like paneer or cottage cheese (if you are an Indian housewife!- :-D, no offense!). You just need to boil 4 cups of milk with vinegar and salt to taste. Wait till it curdles and then using a cheese cloth, press it. Mash this into the spinach mixture when making the filling.