Hi guys, haven't been here posting anything for the longest time.... But here's something special and that too totally Indian, which is not too popular with me. This is great for summer holidays and to impress guests, especially those from Bombay.
This recipe is by the courtesy of the Sadhu Vaswani Centre in their cookbook, "De-li-cious Vegetarian Recipes", with a little bit of my own original twist.. Enjoy, my buaay! Don't shy!
125 mL fresh milk
1/2 can condensed milk
1/4 can carnation milk
1/2 can nestle cream
Few drops green food colouring
One cap full kewra essence (can be found at any Indian supermarket)
125 g almonds (badam), ground
125 g unsalted pistachios (or salted pistachios, rinsed and soaked), ground
Kulfi (Indian ice cream)
1/2 L fresh milk
1/2 tbsp custard powder dissolved in a little milk
1/3 can condensed milk
Few strands of saffron
Rose essence/kewra essence (I used kewra)
1 green cardamom, ground
1/2 cup almonds and pistachios, ground
3/4 cup bean vermicelli
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of saffron
Ready made rabri (can be found in any Indian supermarket), or can be made at home, by boiling all ingredients below till thick and creamy:
1/2 L milk
Pinch of cardamom powder
1/6 can condensed milk
1. For the ice cream, blend together carnation milk, condensed milk, fresh milk and cream.
2. Put in a dish and leave to set in freezer
3. When almost set, mix in pistachio, almond, green colour and kewra essence.
4. Begin making the kulfi. In a sauce pan, on slow fire, boil milk, with condensed milk, stirring all the time.
5. Add cardamom powder and saffron.
6. Add custard powder mixture and nuts and cook, till it thickens.
7. Remove from heat and add essence. Fill in kulfi moulds and leave it to set in freezer overnight.
8. Prepare rabri (see above)
9. The day you are serving, make falooda by boiling water, sugar, saffron and vermicelli, along with rose essence till soft.
How to serve
1. In a tall glass, place a little falooda mixture. Top with pieces of kulfi.
2. Scoop some pista badam ice cream, and top with rabri, rose syrup and chopped almonds.