This is an Indo-Western concoction, generally served in schools and colleges across India. It is a well-known street food as well and is a great snack for children after school, because it is healthy. You can vary this the way you want to and add whatever you want in it. But this is the style that I normally use; just a simple topping with lots of cheese, spices and veggies!
I am adding here also a link for one of the best looking versions of this- pls see below:
1-2 potatoes (small), peeled, cut and boiled
Salt to taste
Pinch of the following spices:
Cumin powder (jeera)
Coriander powder (dhania)
Mango powder (amchur)
Kashmiri red chilli powder
1/2-1 green chilli, chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
Mint chutney (recipe given in Bombay Nagari Vada Pav recipe)
Tamarind chutney (can be found in Indian stores)
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese, mixed
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tomato, finely chopped
6 slices of white bread or brown bread (whatever you prefer)
Butter for spreading
1. Mix in the ingredients for the filling. Keep aside.
2. Firstly butter the bread and add in the filling on one slice. Top with a little mint chutney and onions.
3. Top with cheese and tomatoes. Sprinkle some tamarind chutney on top.
4. Close the sandwich with the other slice. Do the same for the other 2 sandwiches.
5. Before serving, heat an equity toaster and toast the sandwich till the cheese melts. Serve warm.