Monday 24 September 2018

Deconstructed Panzanella Salad


If you asked me what the world's best cuisine should be, I know some of you would agree and others won't. Being a vegetarian, I cannot find much to eat in French cuisine, which is deemed to be the world's best. But, I feel that Italian cooking is the best; strong in the right places and subtle where it should be. Each region has something it is famous for and all Italians celebrate food everyday. It is the way to live if you ask me...

Tuscany is a region famous for its fresh fruits, vegetables, cheeses and wine. One of my favourite dishes from there is a fresh panzanella salad, made of sweet cherry tomatoes and crispy bread pieces.You can use any strong bread you like, but this time, I am using multigrain bread to keep it healthy. This is also a rare vegan recipe and reminds me of the stories my parents told me about their romantic honeymoon to Italy many years ago. Until now, they continue to remember the fresh, organic Italian fare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xj5d4-pick&t=341s
 

DECONSTRUCTED PANZANELLA SALAD

Ingredients

For Salad
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup red or yellow bell peppers, julienned (you can use even green if you like)
1/4 cup cucumbers, diced (I prefer them unpeeled)
1/4 onion, finely chopped (you can use red or white; I leave that up to you...)
2-3 tbsp black olives, finely chopped
80g multigrain bread (you can dice the bread like a traditional salad, but I prefer to leave them in slices)
Olive oil, salt, black pepper and fresh basil for bread
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped for bread

For Dressing
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp honey
1 tsp fresh basil
Salt and black pepper to taste

 
METHOD
For Dressing:
1. Mix all ingredients together well and keep aside.

 
For Salad:
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius (350 deg F or Gas Mark 4)
2. Drizzle bread with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic, salt, black pepper and basil.
3. Bake bread for about 5-10 mins until bread gets crispy.
4. Mix tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, onion and olives into a bowl.
5. Add dressing and toss well.
6. Serve salad and bread separately on a board or plate, as shown here.

 
Tips: I have kept this vegan, but you may even serve on the side, pieces of fresh mozzarella cheese or any other cold cheese you think goes well with salad.

 

 

NUTRITIONAL TABLE

Calories (kcal)
930.2
Total Fat (g)
55.1
Saturated Fat (g)
7.66
Cholesterol (mg)
0.6
Sodium (mg)
424.4
Total Carbohydrates (g)
98.9
Dietary Fibre (g)
16.76
Total Sugars (g)
22.3
Protein (g)
16.38
Vit D (%)
0
Calcium (%)
11.8
Iron (%)
31
Potassium (%)
18.2

 


                        

No comments:

Post a Comment